Saturday, September 01, 2007

Do you think we're stupid?

Maybe it was the fatigue from Sen. Larry Craig's condescending and wildly implausible shuffling that caused me to take particular offense to similar equivocation arriving in my mailbox today.

Countrywide, which as anyone who's seen or read the news in the last several weeks knows, is one of the largest lenders in the country and is at the epicenter of the sub-prime loan debacle. They also hold the mortage on our preschool.

I receive a letter from their branch manager approximately once a month, which is a bit odd given that I'm not shopping for a home once a month, or even once a year.

But today's letter caught my attention: "Dear Brian, Right now it is hard to avoid news about the mortgage industry. Almost everywhere you turn there are stories about the difficulties some mortgage companies are facing in the current economic environment."

"Some mortgage companies?" Gee, would Countrywide happen to be one of them? Cuz I'm seeing your name in the news on a regular basis.

Why not directly address the fact that your company is going through some turmoil? You can assure me that everything is going to be OK and I'll likely believe it, but at least admit what everyone already knows. The problem now is that if they can't be honest with me in times of trouble, why should I believe they're going to be honest with me the next time I need a loan?

No comments: